Friday, February 18, 2022

Coming-of-Age, but WHAT?

Week Two - Deciding on a Topic

My Brain Over the Past Hour 

9 AM-10 AM
  • Carefree Nature
  • Teenage Girl living in Miami
    • Music Blasting
    • Escapism
    • Phone/Technology (Incorporate it without being cliché)
  • Social Commentary
  • Character Develops (Sexuality?)
  • Striving for Representative Simplicity. SO MUCH IS BEING SAID WITH LITTLE TO NO DIALOGUE.
  • NO CHEESY WAKE-UP SCENE


If you cannot already tell by this list, we have a problem. We know the mood and tone we are going for, but what is the story? We've decided on a teenage girl in Miami with a very carefree nature, but we need depth. That depth layer scares Hannah and me because we don't want to choose a story and not love it. We want to be immersed in it to engage our audience.


We Finally Decided!

Around 11 AM (ish)
A coming-of-age film that focuses on two closeted lesbian lovers who are forced to suppress their true feelings and attempt to figure out their sexuality. There is not much lesbian representation in the media, especially from a teenage perspective. The opening will still heavily focus on the Miami environment and how teenagers "let loose." I am honestly relieved that we decided on an idea. I will do more research tomorrow and attempt to watch more coming-of-age pieces. Maybe I will find one that discusses sexuality? I know Booksmart and Euphoria discuss being lesbian. The tension will be good to draw from, even though it is not the central theme of the production. 


Currently Assembling a Mood Board

Currently, I am making a mood board. Sometimes words fail me, but images do an excellent job of capturing the "look."



Extreme feelings of comfort and love mixed with a carefree beach/urban aesthetic.

Overall

Now, Around 4 PM

Today was successful! Tomorrow I plan on being productive and researching/watching material. A friend recommended the TV show Modern Love Season 2, Episode 5, which deals with questioning sexuality. We want to make sure the emotions of being closeted are showcased accurately. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

My Creative Critical Reflection

 Week Nine: The End is Near This is not my baby, but this video encapsulates me! You can also rewatch the opening here if you would like :) ...